An important part of our work is directed towards the Convention of Parties to the Ramsar Convention, or Ramsar COP, the large meeting that happens every three years.
COP14 is due to happen in Wuhan, China, in November 2021. WWN will be taking part as much as possible given the likely disruptions and restrictions on travel.
WWN’s strategic approach to COP14
- Support Youth Engaged in Wetlands to participate.
- Present findings from the 2020 citizen science wetland survey
- Promote the values of IUCN Resolution 019 on the natural flow of water at Ramsar COP14.
Materials from the Secretariat of the Ramsar Convention.
The Ramsar Convention’s Secretariat is releasing guidance and materials for COP14. These include the most recent timeline:
|November 2021||14th meeting of the Conference of the Contracting Parties (COP14)|
|August 2021||COP14 documents published|
|May 2021||59th meeting of the Standing Committee (SC59)|
|February 2021||Submission of proposals for draft resolutions|
|February 2021||SC59 documents published|
The Convention’s Regional Pre-COP meetings are likely to first take place online and then for two days in Wuhan just before COP.
The Ramsar Secretariat has created webinars to help National Focal Points and Contracting Parties prepare for COP14. You can find them on their Capacity Building webpage.
The resources include recorded webinars, downloadable PowerPoint presentations, and other relevant text-based documents.
- Wetlands as Nature-based Solutions (NbS) for Nationally Determined Contributions (NDCs)
- The Ramsar Sites Information Service (RSIS) for National Focal Points and registered Ramsar Site compilers
- Preparing National Reports
- Carrying out national wetlands inventories
- Accessing the Green Climate Fund
- Grant writing for wetland conservation
WWN’s history at Ramsar COP
WWN is formed
Grey Globes awards
Youth, citizen science, and natural flow of rivers!