An important part of our work is directed towards the Convention of Parties to the Ramsar Convention, or Ramsar COP, the large meeting that happens every three years.
COP14 will take place between 5 and 13 November, with the physical meeting happening in Geneva, Switzerland. The high-level activities will be lead virtually by China. The theme ‘wetland actions for people and nature’. WWN will be taking part as much as possible given the likely disruptions and restrictions on travel.
WWN’s strategic approach to COP14
- Support Youth Engaged in Wetlands to participate.
- Present findings from the 2020 citizen science wetland survey
- Promote the values of IUCN Resolution 019 on the natural flow of water at Ramsar COP14.
Materials from the Secretariat of the Ramsar Convention.
The Ramsar Convention’s Secretariat is releasing guidance and materials for COP14.
The Ramsar Secretariat has created webinars to help National Focal Points and Contracting Parties prepare for COP14. You can find them on their Capacity Building webpage.
The resources include recorded webinars, downloadable PowerPoint presentations, and other relevant text-based documents.
- Wetlands as Nature-based Solutions (NbS) for Nationally Determined Contributions (NDCs)
- The Ramsar Sites Information Service (RSIS) for National Focal Points and registered Ramsar Site compilers
- Preparing National Reports
- Carrying out national wetlands inventories
- Accessing the Green Climate Fund
- Grant writing for wetland conservation
WWN’s history at Ramsar COP
WWN is formed
Grey Globes awards
Youth, citizen science, and natural flow of rivers!
For a deep dive into WWN and Ramsar, see the dozens of documents on the Ramsar website that mention WWN.